Modafinil Side Effects
For a long time, Modafinil has been considered as one of the most efficient psycho stimulant drugs since no serious side effect of it has been traced till now. Though few reports of its side effects have been found, it would always be better not to overlook them altogether. Therefore, it is advisable to those people who are going to consume Modafinil or Armodafinil for the first time that they should be aware of its allergic reaction to eliminate any kind of health hazards. The considerable factor is that whenever your doctor recommends you to take Modafinil, he or she should believe that the benefits of taking this drug must overshadow its side effects on you.
Common side effects
The common side effects of Modafinil faced by people are mentioned below –
- Among those few side effects of this drug, the common effects are nausea, headache, anxiety, dizziness and disturbed sleep. If you undergo any of these side effects infrequently, then there is no big issue, but if you face any of these problems for an extended period, you must consult with your physician.
- Although rare, but some more serious side effects of Modafinil are also present. These include sudden changes in the mood, perplexity in mind, agitation, depression, hallucination and other types of indistinctive state of mind.
- Few people reported about pain in the chest, increased and unsteady heartbeats, any symptoms of infection like frequent fever and sore throat.
- Moreover, few cases of allergic reactions have come into notice. Allergic reactions to cognitive enhancers indicate the common types of swelling or itching especially in throat, tongue or throat, forming on blisters on the skin and its stripping away, constant dizziness, the appearance of skin rushes and heavy breathing.
If a Modafinil user experiences any of these symptoms mentioned above for a prolonged time, he or she immediately seek medical help from their doctors.
However, while with the doctor about these side effects, it is always essential to inform them whether the user has any kind of cardiac problem or other health issues that can affect the blood pressure. Moreover, they should confirm to the doctor whether they have any kind of liver disease, problem related to kidney or any mental disorder. They should also inform if the Modafinil user has any kind of drug or alcohol addiction.
Interference with other medicines
Although chances are less, still it is always better to inform the doctor whether the patient is taking any other medicines – be it prescribed or non-prescribed or any herbal supplement so that he or she can prevent any kind of undesirable effects due to interfering of two drugs. Let’s have a look on different medicines that have the possibility of interference with Modafinil.
- If you are taking medicines for high blood pressure, any kind of anticoagulants like Warfarin or medicines like Phenobarbital and rifabutin that may affect the hepatic enzyme activities, you should inform your doctor before start using Modafinil.
- Chances are there that Modafinil may speed up or slow down the activity of liver enzymes that play a great role for ejecting other drugs in the body. Therefore, if a person is already taking any prescribed antidepressant, he may not get its benefit after taking Modafinil as it may affect on its activities. Moreover, the monoamine oxidase inhibitors (antidepressants) may not work properly at the presence of Modafinil. Therefore, doctors usually suggest stop taking these medicines for around two weeks prior to, during and following taking Modafinil in order to avert any serious health issue.
- Possibilities are there that Modafinil might hamper the effectiveness of hormonal contraceptives like birth control pills. Therefore, it is always better to adopt other types of birth control methods during taking Modafinil. In fact, the users should continue the same method for four more weeks subsequently push aside the unwanted pregnancy.
- You should also consider to take medicines for cold that contains ephedrine or pseudo-ephedrine along with Modafinil as chances of increased heart rate, or enhanced blood pressure may occur. On the other hand, consumption of strong dosage of caffeine while taking Modafinil would bring similar effect on your body.
Using Smart Drugs Properly
Anyone who has used smart drugs would tell you that there is no shame in using a drug that has a huge impact with little effort. You may call it relentless perfection or the need to get ahead, which is perfectly in order in such a competitive world. Modafinil is a performance-enhancement drug that everyone who has big ambitions must have seriously given a thought to, at some stage.
Unsurprisingly, talk to any long-term user of this powerful drug and be sure to hear very endearing testimonies of how their lives have never been the same again. Modafinil is a eugeroic drug that is a prescribed all over the world to promote wakefulness and general wellbeing. The drug is also used for the treatment of ADHD, chronic fatigue syndrome, sleep-related disorders and Narcolepsy.
Modafinil is famously touted as one of the most efficient Nootropic drugs that enhance mental alertness, focus, and concentration. The success of the drug has seen more people coming forward with their stories about the success of the drug. Most have reported about better cognitive performance and enhanced wellbeing after using Modafinil. Students have also been stung by this bug because of the need to hack their intelligence especially when exams are hanging around their necks. Stories abound of those who have gotten an extra edge by using this powerful drug.
You may not come across this stories in the mainstream media platforms because some people think it is a form of cheating. Like using underhand tactics to get ahead. I understand their hesitation but coming out with such great stories can only serve to help others who would do with some help because of the regression of their mental abilities.
There is no need for clever tricks to get better grades in college. Modafinil has everything going for it if the good online reviews and first account testimonies are anything to go by. The evidence backs up what has long been thought to be right about the drug such as improved motivation, extra mental sharpness. In fact, a study has shown that Modafinil improves decision making because of the enhanced functioning of the brain. There used to be a misconception that Modafinil is only good for people with a low IQ, but that myth has long been debunked. Modafinil is useful for anyone who can do with a boost up in their cognitive abilities. Modafinil lets you perk up and complete your work with ease. Writers have reported of how the drug helped to smash the writer’s block and get stuff done in a record time that they never imagined would be possible without Modafinil. Are exams looming on the horizon and you feel like you haven’t studied enough? Modafinil is the shot in the arm that you need to enhance your brain power to let you take in as a much as possible before the papers begin.
Just in case you think that Modafinil is a self-prescription drug. Modafinil is a prescription drug that doctors can give you in the event of excessive sleeping and other sleeping disorders such as narcolepsy. It isn’t easy to put the finger on how exactly the drug works, but it is thought to alter the neurotransmitters in the brain to enhance the functioning of the brain.
However, you need to take precaution particularly if you are buying off the shelf because such a successful drug can be a victim of monkey games. Some crafty devils can make cheap substitutes to sell at a profit. Be wary if you are buying this drug anywhere else that is not from ModaTote. You will have yourself to blame because taking fake drugs can be very costly to your overall health.
Do all the ground work to ensure that you are buying genuine products to avoid regrets down the road. Don’t think that you will try anything random in the name of Modafinil and get away with it because it doesn’t always end well. Anyone buying any drug need to know exactly what they are getting into and it should be the same with Modafinil. I would understand why many people wouldn’t want to pass a chance of getting such a drug on cheap, but that doesn’t have to be done through the back door when you can purchase the medication online from the comfort of your couch.
Things to look out for when using Modafinil
Modafinil has undergone many clinical trials to ensure its safety for consumers. The drugs is safe to use, but like any other drug there are some precautions that every user of modafinil must take into account to minimize any potential adverse effects. Some medical conditions may aggravate the effects of the drug in your body system. You need to get the green light of your doctor if you have any known medical condition. For instance, people who fall into the following categories need clearance from a physician before using the drug.
- Those using prescription and non-prescription drugs or any form of dietary supplement
- Pregnant or planning to conceive and those breastfeeding
- People who are allergic to medicine and other substance
- Medical conditions such as high blood pressure, kidney problems, heart problems and liver problems
- Individuals with a history of mental illness such as depression and psychosis and who have a history of drug and substance abuse and dependence
Directions for Modafinil use
It is always wise to ask the doctors for directions on how to use the drug if they are not indicated. Don’t be shy to ask if you are not sure about something, even if the directions for use have been shown. Here are some quick instructions that you need to bear in mind.
- Always take the Modafinil in the morning unless if directed otherwise by a doctor
- Ensure that you always take Modafinil by the mouth
- Make sure you had the medication guide and understood it correctly before using the drug
- If you are using Modafinil for work related problems such as concentration and performance then ensure that you take medicine at least one hour before the start of the shift
- Never take two doses at once; if you miss your dose in the morning and remember later in the day. Let it go and wait for the next day to go back to you regular dose
- Don’t take alcohol if you are using Modafinil. Alcoholic drinks, prescription, and other non-prescription drugs interact with the drug to cause substantial side effects
- Be careful with the elderly using Modafinil because they tend to have more aggressive reactions with drugs
- Take Modafinil 1-3 hours in advance if you intend to use the drug for shift work sleep disorder. They will help to effectively deal with excessive drowsiness.
- Do not take more than what the doctor had prescribed or more than the recommended dosage. Usually, the highest recommended dosage is 400mg per day. You are likely to experience severe side effects if you take more than that.
Potential Side Effects Of Modafinil
While the drug is safe and has undergone various lab test to proof that, there are possible side effects that might come with such a potent drug. Even though reactions might vary from one person to another, it is important to have a full picture to know what steps to take in the event of such an occurrence. Always consult a healthcare professional before using any drug to be on the safe side.
Also, ensure that you follow the doctor’s directions when using the drug. There have been some intense debates over the years about whether Modafinil is an addictive drug. It is easy to see why people would want to take either side of the argument. I would understand why that is the case; it has indeed generated so much heat. No doubt, a powerful and efficient drug is susceptible to abuse.
Most drugs have some effects, but some people experience no or minor side effects. Book, an appointment with your doctor, should include any of these effects become persistent or if you just want to clear your mind.
- Nausea and diarrhoea
- Chest pains and irregular heartbeats
- Hallucination, anxiety, and depression
- Sores or white patches inside the mouth or on the lips
- Sleeplessness (insomnia) dizziness and headaches
Most of these side effects are only experienced by a small profile of Modafinil users, but you need to stop using the drug immediately if you experience any of these signs. The length and intensity of the effects vary from one person to another so it might not be possible to make a rule about this but to be on the safe side. Let your health care provider know about whatever side effects you may have experienced
To set the record straight as we conclude, Modafinil is a smart drug that has many benefits for the user, but it should never be used to cure sleep disorders. There are many natural alternatives and modern medicines that can treat sleep disorders. Get in touch with your doctor or health care provider immediately if you experience any adverse effects of the drug.
Click here for Modafinil dosage recommendations.